Translate

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Before I Die: By Jenny Downham



Hey readers, I have a new book for you This isn't the most upbeat book but definitely a page turner. Have a box of tissues and be prepared to get in more than one good cry.  It is definitely a good book if you liked Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher or If I Stay by Gayle Forman.

This book, while the ending is predictable, really isn't about the ending but what went on inside that was truly amazing. I may have broken down more than once during this book.  It's about Tessa Walker who is 16 year old girl who has been diagnosed with Leukemia. She may have only months to live and between constant hospital visits it is hard to do much living. She wants to get the most out of life and thinks of stuff that she always has wanted to do. So, ultimately, Tessa creates a list of things to do before she dies with her friend Zoey.

What really makes this book special is the relationships between her dad, brother, boyfriend and mom. The whole character of Tessa amazed me. Her emotions and thoughts were correctly portrayed so I felt like I was there with her. This author's writing allows for the sadness of this book to be properly portrayed balanced with romance and curiosity. This book was beautifully tragic and also made me think at the same time. Without a doubt, I would recommend this book for everyone. Even if this isn't the type of book you normally like to read, read it.

Your Friend
Rae Sparks





No comments:

Post a Comment