Translate

Friday, June 24, 2016

The Glass Castle: By Jeanette Walls

Hey Readers! I have a great new book to share that I can only describe as awe provoking. This is not like the last two sad books that I reviewed but a powerful story that I know you all will enjoy.

This is a memoir of Jeannette Walls' childhood. This powerful story left me in awe after every page and I promise this is no exaggeration. I actually could not believe my eyes at what I was reading in this book.

This memoir is all about Jeannette and her dysfunctional family. Jeannette is one of three siblings and she lives with her impoverished mother and father. Her dad, when sober, is brilliant and has undying love for his kids but when he goes through one of his drinking episodes, he is reckless and does things he will often regret. Her mom is a carefree spirit who loves painting and adventures. The love in this book is undeniable even though I would say it is not love that everyone is familiar with. Jeannette and her parents are constantly on the move and go through a series of what her mom loves to call "adventures".

The Walls children often at times have to be the one to take care of themselves and even act as parents to their own parents!

This story is full with the struggles of an impoverished family such as not having enough to eat and even resorting to sleeping in refrigerator boxes. I cannot stress enough how many ups and downs there is throughout this book.

This memoir must have taken so much courage and thought to write about Jeannette Walls' childhood. I give endless credit to this author for having those guts and the amazing storytelling skills to make it come alive on paper.

I don't have any criticism for this book because it left me in complete and utter awe at its pages. I highly recommend you put this on your summer reading list ASAP.

Your Friend,
Rae Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment