Translate

Friday, December 16, 2016

The Things They Carried: by Tim O'Brien

Hey readers! Happy holidays and I hope your Decembers' are going well. I have recently read a great new book that I would love to share.

I would like to preface this review with a fact about myself. I am typically not a big fan of non-fiction. War novels have not been at the top of my To Read list, however, I am making an exception for this book. I was truly compelled by this one. It was not the typical war story I will tell you that.

Tim O'Brien, the author and the protagonist, was accepted into Harvard and had a promising future ahead of him when he got the draft notice that changed his life. He tells the stories of his time at war before and after it.

During this review I will not give an overview of the plot of the story because I could not give that away for the life of me. I will instead tell you what makes this book so special.

Now, this novel is a collection of stories all stringed together in no particular order. It has no beginning middle or end, just like war.

This novel is not only about war, but it really made me question what is real or fiction.  The blurred line of fact or fiction in this novel is what made me really enjoy it, but get frustrated with it at the same time. There is no guarantee that all of these stories occurred, and there is no way to fact check them.

These personal stories that Tim shared from his so called memories of war definitely make their way into your heart whether you know anything about war or not.

When you read this book, or collection of stories, you will get attached to Tim and the characters of his book, however, you do not know if their stories actually happened. That is the frustrating part. Because we will never know what about this novel is real or fiction, but at the same time it is unimportant to the message and emotional impact of Tim's story.

The characters and story line was definitely unique and had my mind blown and my emotions played with the entire time. If you could pick up one book this holiday season, I hope that you pick this one.

Your Friend,
Rae Sparks


No comments:

Post a Comment