Translate

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Gone: By Michael Grant

Hey readers, we are almost nearing the beautiful summer weather!! As summer comes along, we are all in need of a new book to sit with by the beach, pool or even just to read at night:)

I recently read Gone, by Michael Grant. This book is for my teen and tween audiences, not so much for the older teens and adults. This book reminds me a lot of the Lord of the Flies mixed with the Maze Runner.

This sci-fi novel begins suddenly with the disappearance of everyone 15 and older. With no explanation, all kids under the age of 15 are left alone in the town of Perdido Beach. The town is suddenly surrounded by an impenetrable boarder which won't let anyone in or out.

When no adults are around the world of these children is sent into chaos. Struggles for power and order. Bullies taking over. There are kids to take care of and mouths to feed. Confusion all around. Not to mention once the kids turn 15 they disappear. To where? I certainly don't know nor did I find out after the first book.

If that wan't enough the kids begin to find out that they have powers.

As a middle schooler or teen fascinated with sci-fi, this book is definitely interesting. I could not put it down, mostly because I had so many questions throughout the novel. However, that was part of the problem....

The reason I picked up this book is because the concept is fascinating. What would kids these days do if all of the sudden there was no authority? Adding the supernatural into the book was a good idea in theory, but I think there was too much for Grant to develop. I was left with so many questions that I was so frustrated that nothing was being answered.

This book was good don't get me wrong, but I feel that I am starting to see a pattern in all of these dystopian novels. If I had read this book a year or two ago,  it would be a different story.

The writing style also did not agree with me. There were a lot of main characters, so much so that I feel like it was hard for the author to develop them in one book. I recently realized that there are 6 books, however, I do not know if I am intrigued enough to finish the whole series. There are so many questions I have that are unanswered, which is why I will continue reading, but it may be short lived.

Overall, I don't strongly deter you all from reading this, so please be my guest and give it a try. I just must share my honest opinion as a blogger and give you the whole truth.

Your Friend,
Rae Sparks




No comments:

Post a Comment